Thursday, December 9, 2010

Going Dutch For Breakfast

Me and my family are big fans of breakfast, and I have to say that breakfast is a staple for dinner in our household (refer back to my breakfast burritos post).  Now for breakfast I traffic in the usual suspects....eggs, bacon, hash browns, pancakes, waffles.....you get the picture. 

This time however I wanted to try something a little different (shocker), and wouldn't you know it once again fate delivered my inspiration for this post.  The story is that I was looking on the web for recipes that featured Panettone, which is an Italian bread that is usually served around Christmas, and amongst the list of websites featuring Panettone a curious word flickered across the screen, Pannekoek (pah-nuh-cook).  I had never heard of this dish, so of course I was curious.  In summary Pannekoek is a dutch pancake, which can be either savory or sweet and are made with WAY more eggs that your traditional pancake.  I think they taste kinda like a thick crepe, which of course makes them delicious, and when you bake them they puff up into this impressive mass, and then rapidly deflate when taken out of the oven, like a giant sigh after a tough day.  So after serious deliberation I decided to do a sweet variety of Pannekoek and when my husband asked what I was making for dinner and I replied "Pannekoek" he gave me a look like I had gone to the loony bin.  Although I have to say that the look he gave me after he tasted it was a little different.  A dutch breakfast for dinner is awfully tasty!

Baked Pear Pannekoek With
Pear Brandy Maple Syrup

Estimated Cook Time: 45 minutes

Pancake:
1/2 cup butter melted
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
4 eggs
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 tablespoon orange zest
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 medium Bartlett pears peeled and sliced
1/4 cup powdered sugar

Syrup:

1-1/2 cups grade A pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
1/4 cup pear brandy

Preheat oven to 400 degrees (204 degrees Celsius).  In a large bowl combine the flour, milk, eggs, vanilla, 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon, orange zest and granulated sugar.  Beat batter until most of the lumps are gone.  Pour the melted butter in a 14 inch non-stick skillet and pour the batter over the butter. 

Arrange the sliced pears in the batter and sprinkle the brown sugar and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon over the pears.  Place the skillet in the middle of the preheated oven and bake until the pancake is very puffed up and the batter is set, about 30-35 minutes. 

While the pancake is cooking combine the syrup, cinnamon, orange zest and brandy in a small saucepan and heat over medium low heat just until the flavors combine.  Set the syrup aside.  When the pancake is ready remove from the oven and light dust the pancake with the powdered sugar.  Slice the pancake and serve with the brandied syrup........of course a side of sausages doesn't hurt!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I found your blog on my search for dutch pancakes.. I was intrigued by them because I live in Holland and have never seen those huge pancakes/pannekoeken before I saw them today. I guess that it is not really dutch? I know only the thick crepes, combined with for example bacon, apple or cheese.
    Altough; your recipy looks very delicious and I'll try it soon. But not as breakfast.. I couldn't eat that it the morning; it is btw not dutch to eat something heavy like pancakes or waffels or baked eggs for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete